Beginning work on a new strategic plan
As Indiana University embarks on its third century of service, we have a unique opportunity for our entire university community to determine how we will meet and exceed the needs and challenges of a rapidly changing world.
Today, we are announcing IU 2030, a framework for the development of strategic plans for each of our campuses. Over the next six months, all of you — faculty, staff, and students — will have an opportunity to adapt this framework to address what is unique about your campus. Now is the time to dream, to think big, and to imagine the university you want IU to become.
The framework we have established, with its ambitious goals, reflects our determination to occupy the highest tier in American higher education. It emphasizes three interconnected spheres — student success, research, and service to our state and beyond — that form the foundation for our future.
But this framework is only a beginning. Bringing it to life in unique ways for each campus will allow members of the IU community to play a meaningful role in shaping the destiny of each part of our university.
At the end of the process, we will have a plan that inspires each component of our university to greatness, with a meaningful impact on society that ranges from each individual student to our state, our nation, and the world.
Three critical, interconnected areas
The framework reflects our conviction that the success of Indiana University in its third century will be measured by our impact in three interconnected areas:
Student Success and Opportunity: We will attract, retain, and graduate students who receive an extraordinary and affordable education, and provide them with immersive experiences that elevate them among their peers in the workplace and beyond.
Transformative Research and Creativity: We will create tomorrow's world with innovation that springs from a unique combination of research, discovery, entrepreneurship, and creative scholarship.
Service to State, Nation, and Beyond: We will strengthen and serve our state and its communities in multiple spheres — education, economy, healthcare, culture — always striving to improve the quality of life for all Hoosiers. We will ensure the vitality of our state and our nation and stretch to ensure a truly global impact.
Each campus will develop a strategic plan employing the applicable ambitious goals from this framework with the opportunity to reach above and beyond.
What will the Indiana University of 2030 be?
A university that:
- Ranks highest among its peers in attracting, retaining, and graduating students who receive a cutting-edge, broadly based education that prepares them both professionally and personally, and incorporates experiences that distinguish those who earn a degree from Indiana University.
- Is open and affordable to students from all sectors of society.
- Boasts a faculty that excels among its peers in producing high-impact research that makes a difference in people's lives, and creative activity that inspires and elevates the human experience.
- Attracts new levels of government grant and philanthropic support for research that builds on all its strengths, including a host of new big ideas, and helps bring the fruits of that research to life through innovative ideas, discoveries, creativity, and entrepreneurship.
- Serves the educational, healthcare, economic, and cultural needs of our nation, our state, and our communities, with an impact that spreads from Indiana to every part of the world.
We are embarking upon an unprecedented opportunity to collectively create a future of unbridled impact that will result from our ambition and imagination. I'm honored to have the opportunity to take this journey together.