These tenets guide what we do every day, as we fulfill the promise of IU.
Mission & Vision
Indiana University is a major multicampus public research institution, grounded in the liberal arts and sciences, and a world leader in professional, medical, and technological education.
Indiana University’s mission is to provide broad access to undergraduate and graduate education for students throughout Indiana, the United States, and the world, as well as outstanding academic and cultural programs and student services.
Indiana University seeks to create dynamic partnerships with the state and local communities in economic, social, and cultural development and to offer leadership in creative solutions for 21st-century problems.
Indiana University strives to achieve full diversity, and to maintain friendly, collegial, and humane environments, with a strong commitment to academic freedom.
To be one of the great research universities of the 21st century and to be the preeminent institution of higher education in Indiana, specifically by:
- Providing an excellent, relevant, and responsive education across a wide range of disciplines in baccalaureate, graduate, and professional education to students from all backgrounds from Indiana and around the globe;
- Pursuing excellent world-class research, scholarship, and creative activity; and
- Engaging in the economic, social, civic, and cultural development of Indiana, the nation, and the world by building on the base of excellence in research and education.
Indiana University will take full advantage of the differentiated missions of the Bloomington, IUPUI, and IU regional campuses to pursue this vision, and it will be both entrepreneurial and collaborative in pursuing the vision and generating the resources to accomplish it.
Our core values
Indiana University is committed to the highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity. In pursuing all aspects of the university’s mission, the members of the Indiana University community are dedicated to advancing these core values:
- Excellence and innovation
- Discovery and the search for truth
- Diversity of community and ideas
- Respect for the dignity of others
- Academic and personal integrity
- Academic freedom
- Sustainability, stewardship, and accountability for the natural, human, and economic resources and relationships entrusted to IU
- Sharing knowledge in a learning environment
- Application of knowledge and discovery to advance the quality of life and economy of the state, the region, and the world
- Service as an institution of higher learning to Indiana, the nation, and the world