Physical distancing is the practice of keeping extra space between yourself and others as a way to reduce the risk of infection. Distancing is most important for those at higher risk of COVID-19 including those who are not vaccinated or immunocompromised.
Tips for physical distancing
- Stay at least six feet apart from others.
- Eliminate contact with others (e.g., hand-shaking, hugging).
- Avoid touching common surfaces (where possible) and wash hands frequently if it’s not possible to avoid touching surfaces.
- Limit large gatherings and in-person meetings when feasible.
- Take the stairs rather than an elevator when possible.
- Separate work stations by at least six feet.
- Maintain physical distancing during breaks and at shift start and end times.
- Stagger break times and work schedules.
- Limit in-person meetings to fewer than 10 people and maintain at least 6-foot spacing.
- Take separate vehicles.
- Minimize the number of people in a work area at the same time.