Elective Title: 93ZE750 — SIMULATION IN MEDICAL EDUCATION
The Simulation in Medical Education elective is for students interested in an advanced understanding of high-fidelity simulation. Medical students and residents regularly utilize high-fidelity mannequins to simulate high-risk clinical scenarios in a safe, low-risk setting. The goal of this rotation is to learn more about what goes into medical simulation sessions: from the drawing board to educational delivery. Students will be involved with case creation, session programming and setup, as well as controlling high-fidelity mannequins.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Dylan Cooper, MD (email@example.com)
Director: Dylan Cooper, M.D.
Location: The Simulation Center at Fairbanks Hall (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Greg Hasty, RN, CHSE
- 1) Develop knowledge base in operations and capacities of high fidelity simulation for medical education (PBLI1)
- 2) Assist educators and simulation staff in developing, programming and implementing their simulation projects (PBLI1)
- 3) Create a simulation case from planning phase to implementation which is targeted for MS4 learners in Emergency Medicine (PBLI1)
- 4) Demonstrate professional oral and written communication skills (ISC5)
- Professional Development Evaluation Form; (Students receive their final grade based upon attendance, center feedback and grading of their final project. The attendance and feedback are completed through direct observation by our simulation staff, while the final project is graded by the course director).
Prerequisites: 4th Year status, Emergency Medicine Clerkship
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 30
Time Distribution: 60% Laboratory; 40% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: PD - Professional Development
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: The students will work with learners from IU School of Nursing, IU School of Medicine, and IU Health, which includes multiple professions.
Service Learning Included: None