Elective Title: 93YX720 — SPORTS MEDICINE
The course is a four-week block rotation consisting of ambulatory sports medicine clinics with the faculty of the Indiana University Center for Sports Medicine. Half days of primary care sports clinic focus on outpatient evaluation and treatment of common musculoskeletal pathology as well as medical conditions encountered in the active population. Time is spent in the training room for IUPUI athletes as well as sideline coverage of appropriate seasonal sporting events. Sports medicine didactic lectures are attended on a weekly basis. A required written paper or presentation is completed with the help of faculty.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Jess Kurrasch (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Baldea John D., M.D.
Location: IU Center for Sports Medicine (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Arnold Henry, MD. Steve Hartsock, MD
- 1) Understand the basic principles of musculoskeletal healing, rehabilitation, and recovery and how this is recognized and impacted in clinical care (MK1)
- 2) Review clinical anatomy with emphasis on function and physical exam testing (MK1)
- 3) Competence with physical exam of major joints and anatomic regions (shoulder, knee, hip, pelvis/lumbar spine, wrist/hand, foot/ankle) (PC1)
- 4) Develop understanding of standard and non-standard mechanisms for the urgent and long-term care of the athlete. This involves exposure to event coverage, training room participation, and office visits. (PC1)
- 5) Basic understanding of injury prevention and wellness with a focus on patient education about athletic participation (PC4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Assessments will be based on clinical observation/discussion with faculty).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 35
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical, 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH This elective is offered only through special arrangement. Please contact Jessica Kurrasch, Program Coordinator (email@example.com) for more information.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: Students will have the opportunity to collaborate with Physical Therapists.
Service Learning Included: None