Elective Title: 93YX700 — AMBULATORY CARE PRECEPTORSHIP IN FAMILY MEDICINE
The students will see patients in the office setting under the supervision of a family physician. The experience will stress the components of primary ambulatory care including continuity of care, preventive health measures, assessment of health risk factors and early identification of disorders as well as diagnosis and treatment of the commonly encountered diseases in an office setting. The Medical Student Education (MSE) staff will assist students with obtaining a qualified instructor for the elective. Students should visit or contact MSE Program Coordinator at (317) 278-0300 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to identify family medicine preceptors. All arrangements for a specific instructor, month, and community will also be made through this same office. Students may use this elective for Indiana only. Out-of state electives require special elective course number.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Miranda Benson, Student Education Coordinator (email@example.com)
Director: Ruben Hernandez, M.D.
Location: Various communities throughout Indiana
Other Faculty: Family Medicine Faculty
- 1) Compare clinical experiences in the out-patient setting by rotating with a Board-Certified Family Physician (PC1)
- 2) Distinguish the importance of continuity of care in the management of patients (PC2)
- 3) Perform simple minor surgery procedures conducted in the out-patient setting (PC5)
- 4) Develop chronic disease management techniques on patients in the outpatient setting (MK4)
- 5) Define the value of preventive health measures in quality of care (PC4)
- 6) Participate in the diagnosis and management of common undifferentiated medical problems presenting in the ambulatory setting (PC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation Students will be under the supervision of a board-certified Family Physician. Student achievement will be observed through clinical experiences with patients, interactions with the medical team, oral presentations, discussions with preceptor and medical team)
Prerequisites: 3rd as long as completed the family medicine clerkship or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Preceptors will complete an evaluation (Clinical Performance Evaluation) at the end of the clinical experience.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None