Elective Title: 93YF730 — DOMESTIC GLOBAL HEALTH EXPERIENCE
The elective is a Domestic Global Health opportunity to participate as an advocate in your community . This is a 4 week local experience in Indianapolis with focus on cultural competencies in a global health experience designed to immerse students in direct understanding of the barriers that our foreign born patients face in the local medical system as well as increase the medical knowledge related with travel and tropical medicine. During this course the student will have the opportunity to work in clinics that serve multicultural populations, recent immigrants, refugees as well as observe a travel medicine clinic. They will also have the opportunity to participate in some of the local community organizations that have direct contact with the immigrant and refugee population. The community partner is IUSM Student Outreach Clinic.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Miranda Benson, Student Education Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Ruben Hernandez Mondragon, M.D.
Location: Private Office (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Jill Helphinstine, M.D., Javier Sevilla, M.D., Daniela Lobo, M.D., Janet Arno, MD
- 1) Distinguish health disparities, determinants, and solutions that go beyond national borders (MK7)
- 2) Define the resources, available in the community to assist diverse populations(SBP2)
- 3) Participate in a highly interdisciplinary experience beyond the health sciences to promote population health (PC4)
- 4) Demonstrate cultural competence, understanding of cross cultural dynamics (P2)
- 5) Create tools that can facilitate the doctor patient interaction in a growing multicultural society (PBLI1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Students will be assessed by direct observation during the clinical encounters and a reflection write up during their service learning experience which would be graded based on standard rubric).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th Year
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 30-40
Time Distribution: 60% Clinical; 20% Lecture/Seminar; 20% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH. Students must contact Miranda Benson (email@example.com).
This course is open to all campuses, however no housing provided. Student will meet course Director prior to the elective for course requirements and information will also be provided on Canvas.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: During the Service Learning experiences students will have the opportunity to collaborate interprofessional and inter institutional with students from IU Nursing School, IU Law School, IU Social Work School, Buttler University Pharmacy School, Indianapolis University Physical Therapy School.
Service Learning Included: None