Elective Title: 93YF700 — FAMILY MEDICINE RESEARCH ELECTIVE
Family Medicine scholarship and research covers a wide spectrum of topics and methods. As such, these options are available for students interested in a research elective: (1) the student will identify a research topic related to cultural competency in the healthcare setting; or (2), the student will identify a research topic concerned with public health and healthcare delivery; or (3), the student will identify a research topic related to his own research interests. For all options, the student will conduct in-depth research with guidance from Family Medicine faculty. The course director and course instructor must approve the proposed research project in advance.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Miranda Benson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Scott Renshaw, M.D.
Location: IUSM - Indianapolis
Other Faculty: Matt Holley, MD
- 1) Describe the impact of enhanced sensitivity to culture and diversity in patient populations, resulting in more compassionate, efficient healthcare delivery (P2)
- 2) Describe the impact of increased knowledge of public health issues/concerns in patient populations, resulting in more compassionate, efficient healthcare delivery (PBLI1)
- 3) Describe the impact of how his particular research interest results in more compassionate, efficient healthcare delivery (SBP2)
- 4) Explore the literature and research methods Family Medicine investigators use (including research ethics and the Institutional Review Board) (PBLI1)
- 5) Articulate the theoretical models that those in Family Medicine use to develop their hypothesis and interventions (PBLI1
- 6) Demonstrate an understanding of evidence-based medicine through collaborating with those in Family Medicine and related areas (PBLI1)
- Professional Development Evaluation Form; (The student will be assessed by the course director by review of the final research project and interactions throughout the month. Assessment will be completed by the course director).
Prerequisites: 3rd Year
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 30-40
Time Distribution: 100% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: PD - Professional Development
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Miranda Benson (email@example.com) Clerkship must be completed
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None