Elective Title: 93VA730 — DERMATOLOGY TWO-WEEK CLINICAL ELECTIVE
This course is designed to serve as a 2-week introduction to clinical dermatology, including the diagnosis, medical and surgical management of skin diseases commonly seen in general practice. Students will work directly with Dermatology faculty and residents in one of several outpatient clinic settings. This elective is ideal for students pursuing a career in primary care, medical or surgical subspecialties, who desire an exposure to the field. The elective is flexible; students may contact the course director if they have a specific interest in the field of dermatology, so that we may plan their clinical experience according to their needs. This 2-week elective may be paired with vacation or another 2-week elective, in a related or different field. Students who prefer a more in-depth learning experience may select the traditional 4-week elective, 93VA710.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Kelli Cassidy (email@example.com )
Director: Alison Klenk, M.D.
Location: IU Health University Hospital, Eskenazi Health Services, Roudebush VA Medical Center (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Dr. Elliot Androphy, Dr. Anita Haggstrom, Dr. Stephen Wolverton, Dr. Nico Mousdicas, Dr. Elizabeth Bryant, Dr. Ally Somani, Dr. Nidhi Avashia, Dr. Joanne Trockman, Dr. Matt Turner, Dr. Kristin Hoffman, Dr. Melanie Kingsley
- 1) Perform a directed history and physical exam to assess patients with skin disease, formulate a differential diagnosis, and develop an initial management plan (PC1)
- 2) Describe skin lesions using appropriate dermatologic terminology(MK3)
- 3) Diagnose and manage several common skin diseases (PC2)
- 4) Recognize dermatologic emergencies requiring urgent consultation (PC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Achievement will be determined by direct observation, written exam, faculty discussions and clinic participation during elective).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40 (no weekends)
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
This elective is being offered for 2 weeks. Students may pair this month with vacation or other 2-week elective blocks. For students who prefer a traditional 4 week elective in Dermatology, they are encouraged to apply for the Dermatology Clinical Elective (4 weeks), 93VA710
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None