Elective Title: 93VA710 — CLINICAL DERMATOLOGY
This clinical elective will teach medical students how to approach the diagnosis and initial management of typical skin diseases seen in general practice. Students work directly with dermatology faculty and residents to treat patients in the setting of outpatient dermatology clinics and inpatient consults. Upon completion of this elective, the student will know the clinical features of the most commonly encountered skin diseases and be familiar with available therapies. The student will gain proficiency in the laboratory procedures used in the identification of fungal infections of the skin, and in basic dermatological procedures such as cryosurgery and skin biopsy.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Kelli Cassidy (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Director: Alison Klenk, M.D.
Location: IU Health University Hospital AOC Dermatology Clinic, Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health, Eskenazi Health Services, Roudebush VA Medical Center (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Elliot Androphy, M.D., PhD., Anita Haggstrom, M.D., Melanie Kingsley, M.D., Lawrence Mark, M.D., PhD. Matt Turner, M.D., PhD., Elizabeth Bryant, M.D., Ally Somani M.D., PhD., Nidhi Avashia M.D., Kristin Hoffman, M.D.. Cristiane Machado M.D., Joanne Trockman, M.D., Stephen Wolverton M.D., Sahand Rahnama, M.D.
- 1) Perform a directed history and physical exam to assess patients with skin disease, formulate a differential diagnosis, and initial management plan (PC1)
- 2) Describe skin lesions using appropriate dermatologic terminology (MK3)
- 3) Diagnose and manage the most common skin diseases (MK4)
- 4) Recognize dermatologic emergencies requiring urgent consultation (PC2)
- 6) Perform the following procedures: KOH preparation, scraping for ectoparasites, skin biopsy, minor suturing, electrodessication (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation; objective exam; oral presentation)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 85% Clinical; 15% Lecture/Seminar or Small Group Learning Sessions
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Third year students with a special interest in dermatology are encouraged to contact the course director, Dr. Klenk, at email@example.com to enroll in the elective.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None