Elective Title: 93UR770 — UROGYNECOLOGY
The student will gain an introductory knowledge of urogynecology / Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery through one-on-one interaction in the clinic, in the operating room, and on the inpatient ward. The student will follow patients through the process of clinic, into the operating room, and follow them post-operatively on the ward. Dr. Powell will supervise the student. The elective is open to 1-2 students per month. The typical week will involve time at Eskenazi, IU West , and IU University hospitals. Some sites will include urology residents and some will not, giving the student more independence. This is for students curious about urology , urogynecology, urinary incontinence, prolapse, neuromodulation, and reconstructive surgery.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Dr. Powell (email@example.com)
Director: Charles Powell, M.D.
Location: IU University Hosp., IU West Hosp., Eskenazi Hosp.
- 1) Outline the basic work up for women and men suffering from urinary incontinence, pelvic prolapse, pelvic pain, overactive bladder (PC3)
- 2) Perform an supervised independent pelvic exam on a female patient with the intent of staging the severity of pelvic prolapse (PC5)
- 3) Demonstrate the interrogation of a sacral nerve stimulator and evaluate the effectiveness of such stimulators (PC5)
- 4) Describe the basic responsibilities of a urogynecologic / FPMRS trained surgeon (ISC1)
- 5) Evaluate when a patient might benefit from advanced testing such as urodynamic evaluation (MK4)
- 6) Perform basic surgical tasks such as closing skin (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (1. logbook entry will need to meet quotas for certain patient types and 2. one on one observation by Dr. Powell)
Prerequisites: 3rd and 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: The student will interact with a nurse practitioner trained in urinary incontinence, prolapse, and reconstructive urology, to gain a different clinical perspective.
Service Learning Included: None