Elective Title: 93UR730 — PEDIATRIC UROLOGY
Patient care (both inpatient and outpatient) in urologic diagnosis and management, operative experience and bedside rounds on inpatients, with follow-up and treatment outpatient contacts comprise the major effort. Low ratio of student to instructor makes lecture quite informal.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: MARK CAIN, MD (email@example.com)
Director: Mark Cain, M.D.
Location: Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health (Indianapolis)
- 1) Evaluate patients with pediatric urologic conditions in an outpatient setting (PC1)
- 2) Interpret common radiographic studies that are used in evaluation of pediatric renal and bladdder problems (PC3)
- 3) Participate in both outpatient and inpatient care of pediatric urological surgical conditions, including the evaluation, surgical procedures, and postoperative management (PC5)
- 4) Participate in at least one clinical research project during the rotation (PBLI1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The students will be assessed through daily observations by the course director Dr. Mark Cain, and other Pediatric Urology Staff members and by revue of their clinical research (i.e. culmination of project with either presentation at urological meeting and/or submission for publication in peer reviewed journal)).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 10% Lecture; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: MARK CAIN, MD (firstname.lastname@example.org) Students should contact Dr. Cain directly by email; as well as Tina Hedges (317-278-0221, email@example.com ) prior to enrolling in course to allow ample time to coordinate clinical schedule and research project(s).
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: Yes, students will have opportunities for multidisciplinary collaboration with other pediatric specialties including pediatric surgery/nephrology/neurosurgery both through clinical duties and multidisciplinary conferences.
Service Learning Included: None