Elective Title: 93ST750 — CARDIOTHORACIC CONGENITAL HEART SURGERY RESEARCH
Students will explore in-depth a specific topic of current clinical interest from the literature and review the clinical records of patients who either have a specific cardiac or vascular problem or who have undergone a specific surgical procedure. The intent of the research project will be to give the student an opportunity to research a particular surgical topic, examine patients and patient records as they pertain to the topic and possibly co-author a publication for the literature.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: John W. Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: John W Brown , M.D.
Location: Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Mark Rodefeld, MD and Jeremy Herrmann, MD
- 1) Explain the elements of various types of research studies (retrospective review, prospective, randomized controlled trials, meta-analyses etc (PBLI1)
- 2) Conduct a retrospective chart review of pediatric and congenital adult cardiovascular disease which includes literature research, determining study end points, and extracting necessary info from patient charts (PBLI1)
- 3) Discuss clinical implications of clinic research (PBLI1)
- 4) Observe cases in the operating room, which may or may not, be the research project assigned (PC1)
- Research Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Surgery clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 20% Clinical; 40% Research; 10% Lecture; 30% Library
Elective Type Category: AS - Advanced Science
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: John W. Brown (email@example.com) All on-campus surgery electives will be handled through the match. Post-match results, all additions and drops for surgery electives must be approved through Megan Rendina, Surgery Clerkship Coordinator at 274-7201 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None