Elective Title: 93SG930 — GENERAL SURGERY, ESKENAZI TEAM 1
This course is designed to provide the student with experience and participation at a subintern level in the management of general surgical problems. The student will take part in the diagnosis, treatment, and convalescent care of patients on one of the two general surgical services. In-house call is expected to allow exposure to emergency cases. Clinical experience will be correlated with tutorial and reading assignments. A special conference with the faculty will occur weekly. Opportunity is available for a special research project, depending on the interest of the student.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Megan Rendina (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Clark J Simons, M.D.
Location: Eskenazi Health Services - General Surgery Team 1 (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Dr. Hayward, Dr. Staton-Maxie
- 1) Acquire a patient history and physical exam while focusing on aspects of surgical pathophysiology (PC1)
- 2) Formulate patient care plans under the guidance of faculty and residents, considering a patient's pathophysiology (PC3)
- 3) Describe preoperative, surgical and post-operative management of complex surgical diseases, including hepatic, biliary, pancreatic, gastrointestinal, trauma and oncologic surgery (MK4)
- 4) Demonstrate basic knot-tying and wound closure (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Observations)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Surgery clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 70
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 10% Lecture; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Megan Rendina (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH : "Permission only" please contact: Megan Rendina, Surgery Clerkship Coordinator at 274-7201 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None