Elective Title: 93SG760 — CLINICAL - ORGAN TRANSPLANTATION
This one-month (optional two month) elective will provide the student with an exposure to the field of organ transplantation. Although it is a surgical service, patient problems have both medical and surgical applications and provide the student with a unique opportunity for learning. Special emphasis is given to transplantation, immunology, immunosuppressive therapy and organ physiology. Problems generally encountered in the management of transplant patients will provide additional exposure in the areas of infectious diseases, complications of immunosuppressive therapy as well as peripheral vascular and general surgical problems in the ESRD patient. The student will actively participate in the overall patient care in a day-to-day close working relationship with the faculty and house staff.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Megan Rendina (email@example.com)
Director: John Powelson, M.D.
Location: IU Health University Hospital, Transplant Unit, C430 (Indianapolis)
- 1) Acquire a patient history and physical exam while focusing on aspects of surgical pathophysiology (PC1)
- 2) Formulate patient care plans under the guidance of faculty and residents, considering a patient's pathophysiology (PC3)
- 3) Describe the preoperative, surgical and post-operative management of complex surgical diseases, including short gut syndrome, acute & chronic renal failure, end stage liver failure, complex biliary problems, need for access surgery (MK4)
- 4) Participate in organ donation surgeries (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Observations)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Surgery clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 70
Time Distribution: 75% Clinical; 10% Lecture; 15% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Megan Rendina (firstname.lastname@example.org) All on-campus surgery electives will be handled through the match. Post-match results, all additions and drops for surgery electives must be approved through Megan Rendina, Surgery Clerkship Coordinator at 274-7201 or email@example.com.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None