Elective Title: 93SG750 — PANCREATIC, HEPATOBILIARY SURGERY, A-TEAM
Medical students participating in this surgical elective will be given a broad overview of the practice of surgery at a university-based hospital. The student will participate in the preoperative, surgical and post-operative management of complex surgical diseases, including hepatic, biliary, pancreatic, gastrointestinal, and oncologic surgery. The student will function at a sub-intern level and will participate in all aspects of patient care as a member of the surgical team which will include daily ward rounds, outpatient clinical services, and elective and urgent operations. The elective will offer an exposure to the complexity and challenge of tertiary-care surgery in a university hospital setting. The student will have the opportunity to attend daily educational conferences and tumor board discussions.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Megan Rendina (email@example.com)
Director: Michael House, M.D.
Location: IU Health University Hospital - A Team General Surgery Service (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Nicholas Zyromski M.D.
- 1) Explain basic pathophysiology and basic surgical concepts of hepatic, biliary, gastrointestinal, and pancreatic diseases (MK3)
- 2) Efficiently and thoroughly interview and examine patients with complex surgical diseases and to formulate basic patient care plans (PC1)
- 3) Recognize acute illness in surgical patients and formulate rapid treatment plans (PC3)
- 4) Proficiently complete basic surgical techniques (e)g) skin suturing, knot tying, arterial and venous punctures, etc (PC5)
- 5) Identify the rigors and rewards of a general surgery residency and career while participating as a member of the health care team (SBP1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Faculty assessment of clinical knowledge and skills )
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Surgery clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 80
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Megan Rendina (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH : "Permission only" please contact: Megan Rendina, Surgery Clerkship Coordinator at 274-7201 or email@example.com.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None