Elective Title: 93SG730 — GENERAL SURGERY SUB-INTERNSHIP, C-TEAM
Medical students participating in this surgical elective will be given a broad overview in the practice of academic surgery at a university-based hospital. This course provides students with extensive exposure to hepatobiliary, pancreatic, gastrointestinal, and laparoscopic surgery. Aspects of surgical oncology, inflammatory bowel disease, and other complex surgical problems will be encountered. The student will participate as a sub-intern in the preoperative, operative and post-operative management of surgical patients on the Indiana University C-Team. Additionally, the student is offered an option of taking trauma call at Wishard Memorial Hospital, a Level 1 Trauma Center.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Megan Rendina (email@example.com)
Director: Attila Nakeeb, M.D.
Location: IU Health University Hospital - Surgical C Team (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Dr. M. Maluccio, Dr. J. Miskulin, Dr. E. Ceppa, Dr. Koniaris
- 1) Acquire a patient history and physical exam while focusing on aspects of surgical pathophysiology (PC1)
- 2) Formulate patient care plans under the guidance of faculty and residents, considering a patient's pathophysiology (PC3)
- 3) Describe preoperative, surgical and post-operative management of complex surgical diseases, including hepatic, biliary, pancreatic, gastrointestinal, trauma and oncologic surgery (MK4)
- 4) Demonstrate basic knot-tying and wound closure (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observations)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Surgery clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 70
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH : "Permission only" please contact: Megan Rendina, Surgery Clerkship Coordinator at 274-7201 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None