Elective Title: 93RN700 — NUCLEAR MEDICINE
It is the primary objective of this elective to acquaint the student with the usefulness and the limitations of nuclear imaging techniques and to enable him/her to request studies judiciously and place the interpretation in its proper perspective. The students will become familiar with techniques of nuclear imaging and will participate in their interpretation. Time is permitted for reading and teaching file experience. The interested student may also collaborate with faculty members on certain ongoing research projects.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Steven Westphal, MD (email@example.com)
Director: Steven Westphal, M.D.
Location: IU Health University Hospital, IU Health Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health and Eskenazi Health Services (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Dr. Aaron, Dr. Fletcher, Dr. Sims, Dr. Tann
- 1) Name the common nuclear medicine and PET examinations and their common indications (PC1)
- 2) Judge when a nuclear medicine examination should be ordered instead of another radiologic examination (PC3)
- 3) List the emergent nuclear medicine examinations and be able to distinguish between a positive and negative exam (PC3)
- 4) Identify the radiotracer used in common examinations and name its half-life and energy (MK1)
- 5) Relate the radiopharmaceutical to the physiologic process that is being imaged (MK3)
- 6) Discuss the typical evaluation and treatment of a patient with thyroid disorders (MK4)
- 7) Compare patient preparation and imaging protocols of different imaging examinations as they follow selected patients undergoing examinations in the department (PBLI1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (All clinical evaluation based on interaction with faculty/fellows and residents and will likely include, but is not limited to, direct observation by the faculty and fellows/residents and discussion with faculty and fellows/residents).
Prerequisites: 4th year status.
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 30
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 10% Lab; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Steven Westphal, MD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None