Elective Title: 93PS950 — CONSULTATION / LIAISON CHILD PSYCHIATRY
Elective on Consultation/Liaison Child Psychiatry has been arranged in cooperation with Julianne Giust, M.D., to provide a well-rounded exposure to several aspects of Child Psychiatry. The elective will consist of attendance at diagnostic and treatment conferences of the Riley Child Psychiatry Clinic and Consultation/Liaison Service. Depending on cases seen the student will be exposed to not only psychiatric assessment and treatment, but also assessment of feeding problems, working with critically ill or dying patients and their families, and medical-legal issues of patient care. Attendance at didactic presentations with residents and fellows in psychiatry is expected. The rest of the student's time will be spent in preceptorship with a staff consultant while he or she performs consultation/liaison functions with pediatrics and other medical specialties in Riley Hospital. Consultation/Liaison rounds are held daily.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Victoria Anderson (email@example.com)
Director: Julianne Giust, M.D.
Location: Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Amy Williams, Ph.D. (co-director); Hillary Blake, Psy.D.; Kathy Hayes, LCSW; Tamara Albert, LCSW
- 1) Obtain a basic level of mastery of psychiatric examination and formulation (PC1)
- 2) Identify and recognize and evaluate the major DSM-V diagnoses in a pediatric hospital setting (PC1)
- 3) Effectively communicate with professionals from other disciplines to obtain comprehensive examinations and provide interventions (ISC1)
- 4) Recognize, evaluate, and treat conditions that involve the interface between psychological and other medical factors (PC2)
- 5) Review the use of psychopharmacology with patients presenting for primary pediatric conditions (MK4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation, Oral Presentations of Patients, Discussions with Faculty, and Topic Presentation)
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 45
Time Distribution: 85% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar; 5% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Victoria Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) Please contact Vicki Anderson (email@example.com) before scheduling to determine availability and contact faculty a minimum of 4 weeks prior to start of elective.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Service Learning Included: None