Elective Title: 93PS890 — FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
This elective is designed to give students exposure to 1.) forensic psychiatric evaluations of defendants in jail and office settings; 2.) management and assessment of long-term forensic inpatients in a state hospital setting by spending one day per week at Logansport State Hospital, 3.) management and assessment of jail inmates with mental illness by spending one day per week in a jail psychiatry clinic and 4.) civil commitment by spending one day per week on the inpatient psychiatric unit at Eskenazi Hospital.. We will provide readings on forensic psychiatry topics. Consideration of forensic psychiatry issues from moral/ethical perspectives and the social and policy implications of the practice of forensic psychiatry will be discussed.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: George Parker, MD (email@example.com)
Director: George F. Parker, M.D.
Location: IU Health Neuroscience Center (Indianapolis), Logansport State Hospital (Logansport), Marion County Jail 2 (Indianapolis); Eskenazi Hospital (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Steven Berger, M.D., Community Corrections of America; Tracy Gunter, M.D., IU Dept. of Psychiatry; Douglas Morris, M.D., Logansport State Hospital; Michael DeMotte, MD, Eskenazi Hospital and Danny Meadows, M.D., Logansport State Hospital
- 1) Understand the basic elements of forensic psychiatric evaluations for competence to stand trial and sanity at the time of the offense (SBP2)
- 2) Observe and participate in the evaluation and care of forensic inpatients in a state hospital setting (PC3)
- 3) Observe and participate in the evaluation and treatment of jail inmates with mental disorders (PC3)
- 4) observe and evaluate patients going through civil commitment proceedings (PC3)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Primarily Clinical Observations unless the student chooses to do a presentation).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; must have completed Psychiatry clerkship
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 75% Clinical; 5% Research; 5% Lecture/Seminar; 15% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: George Parker, MD (firstname.lastname@example.org) Please contact Vicki Anderson (email@example.com) before scheduling to determine availability and contact faculty a minimum of 4 weeks prior to start of elective.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None