Elective Title: 93MI710 — SCIENTIFIC BASIS OF CLINICAL THERAPEUTICS
The purpose of this elective, given near the end of the senior academic year, is to survey in depth selected medical topics useful to a physician entering internship, especially an internal medicine or family practice residency. Emphasis is placed on (1. correlation of the basic science and clinical aspects of the diseases being discussed, and (2. current therapies and the rationale behind them. To achieve maximal medical success, differential therapeutics must follow as logical a course as differential diagnosis. Clinical therapeutics and problem solving will be highlighted. Teaching methods will include lectures, and discussion groups focusing on clinical case histories. Attendance is required at the discussion groups and the student is expected to come with previously prepared management plans for each of the clinical cases. The subject matter is clinical but there are no patient care responsibilities.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Robert V. Considine, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Robert V. Considine, Ph.D.
Location: IUSM - Indianapolis
- 1) Review current therapeutics applied to select major classes of acute and chronic disease syndromes (PC2)
- 2) Demonstrate lifelong learning skills to keep up with advances in therapeutics (PBLI1)
- 3) Apply clinical skills to develop, monitor, and adjust therapeutic regimens (MK4)
- 4) Practice the above in a supportive small group setting which will allow the time and opportunity to gain further insight into therapeutics (SBP1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Evaluation of participation in discussion groups and Clinical Pharmacology triple jump examination).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 25
Time Distribution: 100% Lecture/small group sessions
Elective Type Category: AS - Advanced Science
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None