Elective Title: 93ME700 — CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGY AND METABOLISM
Students will provide academically oriented endocrine and/or metabolic consultations on inpatients, attend the endocrine and diabetic clinics, and participate in specialty conferences and rounds. Students will be expected to present two case summaries at our Wednesday morning clinical case conference and demonstrate problem-solving abilities. Emphasis on diabetes mellitus, thyroid disease, hypertension or other endocrine related disorders can be provided for interested students.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Melissa Cavaghan MD (email@example.com)
Director: Melissa Cavaghan, M.D.
Location: IU Health University Hospital and Eskenazi Health Services (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Dr. Aziz, Dr. Baker, Dr. Econs, Dr. Evans-Molina, Dr. Donegan, Dr. Imel, Dr. Khare, Dr. Lteif, Dr. Mather, Dr. Mirmira, Dr. Peacock, Dr. Pratt, Dr. Roach, Dr. Skiercyzinski, Dr. Walsh.
- 1) Obtain a concentrated exposure to patients with endocrine and metabolic problems (including diabetes mellitus, thyroid disorders and hypertension (PC1)
- 2) Demonstrate ability to research clinical problems and apply relevant literature (PBLI1)
- 3) Apply principles of diagnosis and management under supervision (PC2)
- 4) Practice specialized history taking and physical examination skills (PC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Faculty members with the most exposure to the student will submit evaluations and suggested grades based on observation of the student's clinical assessments and presentations. The final grade will be assigned by the course director based on these evaluations).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Medicine clerkship must be completed.
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 70% Clinical; 20% Library; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Melissa Cavaghan MD (firstname.lastname@example.org) This elective may be dropped/added within 2 months of the start of the elective month.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None