Elective Title: 93MD710 — INFECTIOUS DISEASE RESEARCH
The student will participate in one of the current research programs in the Division of Infectious Disease. The project may be laboratory or clinically based. Students must meet with the faculty member with whom they will work to develop mutually acceptable goals and timing; this is best accomplished several months in advance of participating in the elective. With the faculty member, the student will plan and carry out participation in a project, ranging from performing pre-selected technical aspects of an ongoing project to planning and carrying out a semi-independent project that extends beyond the duration of the elective.
Director: Cole B. Beeler, M.D.
Location: IU Health University Hospital (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Dr. Arno, Dr. Brown, Dr. A. Ermel, Dr. Fife, Dr. Gupta, Dr. Kressel, Dr. S. Spinola, Dr. Wools-Kaloustian
- 1) Discuss the requirements and design for medical research projects (PBLI1)
- 2) Conduct experiments to generate data for a research project (PBLI1)
- 3) Collect clinical or laboratory data that contribute to a research project's goal(s) (PBLI1)
- 4) Analyze and interpret data in order to make relevant conclusions related to the research project (PBLI1)
- Research Evaluation Form; (Observation by supervising faculty member, who will use observations, personal interactions and discussions with the student to assign a final grade)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Medicine clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 100% Research
Elective Type Category: AS - Advanced Science
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Cole B. Beeler (email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH. Students must contact the course director directly to add this course to their schedule.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None