Elective Title: 93MC700 — CLINICAL CARDIOLOGY
Students will round on the Cardiology Consult Service and in the Coronary Care Unit. In addition, students will read ECG's daily. This elective provides an intensive experience in patient management as well as the use and interpretation of specialized cardiovascular diagnostic tests such as ECG's, echocardiography, cardiac catheterization, stress testing and others.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stephanie Plummer (email@example.com)
Director: Pantila Vanichakarn, M.D.
Location: IU Health Methodist Hospital (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Deepak Bhakta, M.D.
- 1) Perform accurate electrocardiographic interpretation (PC3)
- 2) Conduct a comprehensive cardiovascular evaluation in the inpatient setting (PC1)
- 3) Perform a thorough pre-operative cardiovascular evaluation and risk assessment (PC1)
- 4) Recognize differing presentations of acute coronary syndromes and differentiate between true myocardial infarction versus demand ischemia syndromes (PC2)
- 5) Identify and manage acute arrhythmia syndromes including atrial fibrillation, bradyarrhythmias, ventricular tachyarrhythmias and cardiac arrest (MK4)
- 6) Diagnose, through cardiac auscultation, the etiology of common cardiac murmurs including aortic stenosis, aortic regurgitation, and mitral regurgitation (MK2)
- 7) Diagnose and manage the different forms of heart failure including heart failure with preserved ejection fraction and systolic heart failure (MK4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; INTERNAL MEDICINE clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 35-40
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None