Elective Title: 93LA740 — MUSCULOSKELETAL SURGICAL ONCOLOGY
This unique elective offers an introduction to the field of musculoskeletal oncology. The clinical work will be split between the pediatric and adult services and will involve instruction in the radiologic and clinical diagnosis, surgical planning, surgical intervention, pathologic evaluation and oncologic follow-up of benign and malignant lesions of the extremities. The student will be strongly encouraged to pursue a research topic of interest and perhaps, but not required, submit it for publication with FACULTY support. This elective is best suited for those who are interested in radiology, pathology, surgery, pediatrics, orthopaedics, or oncology. There will be no required night call.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Jennifer Andy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Lawrence Daniel Wurtz, M.D.
Location: Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health, IU Health University Hospital, Eskenazi Health Services (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Todd Bertrand, M.D.
- 1) Assess radiographic studies and formulate a differential diagnosis (PC2)
- 2) Participate in the multidisciplinary treatment of musculoskeletal oncology patients (SBP1)
- 3) Discuss surgical resection techniques (PC5)
- 4) Utilize various system resourses used in the clinical and pathologic evaluation of patients with musculoskeletal tumors(MK3)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Observation by course director and co-director , discussion with course director and co-director).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 70% Clinical; 15% Research; 15% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Jennifer Andy (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All course permission requests should be sent to Jennifer Andy (firstname.lastname@example.org) 317-963-1965. Both 3rd and 4th year medical students must obtain permission first before enrolling.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None