Elective Title: 93KE710 — PEDIATRIC ENDOCRINOLOGY AND DIABETOLOGY
The student will participate in evaluation and management of infants, children and adolescents with endocrine disease, including diabetes mellitus. The student will participate in rounds and follow-up of hospitalized patients, and time will be allotted each week to spend in Diabetes Clinic and Endocrine Clinic, typically most afternoons. The outpatient and ward experience will be supplemented with discussions of assigned reading material. This elective is recommended for students interested in careers in Pediatrics, Medicine/Pediatrics, Internal Medicine and Family Medicine.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: John S. Fuqua, MD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: John Fuqua, M.D.
Location: Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Dr. Di Meglio, Dr. Eugster, Dr. Haddad, Dr. Hannon, Dr. Imel, Dr. Mirmira, Dr. Nabhan, Dr. Nebesio, Dr. Sanchez, Dr. Sims, Dr. Walvoord
- 1) Discuss the inpatient and outpatient treatment of diabetes in children (MK4)
- 2) Recognize commonly seen outpatient endocrine disorders in children, including short stature, precocious and delayed puberty, and thyroid disorders (PC2)
- 3) Evaluate disorders of calcium metabolism (PC3)
- 4) Discuss the endocrine regulation of fluid and electrolytes (MK1)
- 5) Evaluate a patient for causes of hypoglycemia (MK2)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Pediatric clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 45
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 5% Lecture; 15% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: John S. Fuqua, MD (email@example.com)
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: Students on this elective will work with Certified Diabetes Educators (nurse practitioners, RNs, and dietitians) to develop plans for education of selected patients with newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus.
Service Learning Included: None