Elective Title: 93GO710 — EXTERNSHIP OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY
This elective allows the medical student to continue their studies of obstetrical and gynecologic care. The student will actively participate with staff in managing patients presenting for prenatal care, labor/ delivery and the postpartum. Both routine and many high risks patients will be seen. Gynecologic experience will consist of general clinic visits, family planning, evaluation of abnormal cytology, hands on time in the operating rooms, with options of evaluating patients with urogynecologic, substance abuse, and endocrinologic complaints. Student needs emphasizing either obstetrics or gynecology may be considered on an individual basis. Some students enjoy the night call option. The student will participate with daily didactic conferences as well as weekly grand rounds.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Kellie Hindman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Nicole Scott, M.D.
Location: Eskenazi Health Services (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Drs. Berry M.D., Ferries-Rowe M.D., Haas M.D., Hathaway M.D., Kasper M.D., Lau M.D., Litwiller M.D., Meng M.D., Mims M.D., Schnee D.O., Smith M.D., Stutsman M.D., and Tucker Edmonds M.D.
- 1) Develop as necessary, a complete or problem focused history and physical exam on a patient (PC1)
- 2) Develop a patient care plan, demonstrating an understanding of the problem, physiology behind the problem, and research the problem for evidence based care (MK5)
- 3) Demonstrate effective communication through:Written Histories & Physicals, Progress & Clinic Notes, Oral Presentations, and Interactions with patients & family members (ISC1)
- 4) Demonstrate advanced technical skills so that they can to provide prenatal care, accomplish a delivery, provide postpartum care, and provide basic gynecologic care at an intern level (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation, Assessment of Presentation) Evaluation and Methods:
Prerequisites: 4th year status; OB/GYN clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
This elective is handled through the match. Post-match results, all additions and drops for OBGYN electives must be approved through Kellie Hindman, OBGYN Clerkship Coordinator. To be placed on the waitlist for this course, please contact Kellie (email@example.com or 317-948-7438). Vacancies will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: Students work closely with nurses on labor and delivery, in the operating room and clinic setting.
Service Learning Included: None