Elective Title: 89ZI701 — ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICINE
In this elective, the student will participate in administrative activities for a medium-sized community health system, working along side its Vice President of Medical Affairs, participating in administrative team meetings and activities, including public events. The student will participate on Lean-Six Sigma project teams. The student will also select and preform a research project and provide presentations of the project planning, execution and results to the administrative team.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Tiffany Ridge (Tiffany.Ridge@reidhealth.org)
Director: Thomas W. Huth, M.D.
Location: Reid Hospital & Health Care Services (Richmond)
- 1) Explain the planning and management of administrative projects (PBLI1)
- 2) Describe the application of Lean management principles in administrative practice (PBLI1)
- 3) Apply communication skills, both written and verbal (ISC5)
- 4) Discuss the implementation of organizational strategic initiatives (PBLI1)
- 5) Recognize the preparation and management of organizational budget (PBLI1)
- Professional Development Evaluation Form; (Assessment will occur by observation with frequent coaching, evaluation and feedback of written and oral communications, discussion with faculty, and feedback on progress from hospital managers and administrators).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 50-60
Time Distribution: 50% Laboratory; 40% Library/Research; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: PD - Professional Development
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Housing and meals provided by elective site.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: This elective provides opportunities for students to work collaboratively on healthcare teams that include students or practitioners from the following professions: nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, Lean Management, administration, graduate medical ed
Service Learning Included: None