Elective Title: 84ZS702 — PRIMARY CARE SPORTS MEDICINE
This primary care Sports Medicine rotation will provide medical students an opportunity to learn about and participate in the evaluation and management of athletes and active individuals in both an office setting and high school and collegiate training room settings. Students will be expected to evaluate patients and develop a treatment plan while incorporating event coverage, sports nutrition, sports psychology, and didactic lectures.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Heather LeBrun (email@example.com)
Director: Andrew McDonald, M.D.
Campus: Terre Haute
Location: UAP Bone and Joint Center (Terre Haute)
- 1) Describe the interrelationships of athletes, parents, coaches, athletic trainers and physicians in caring for the athlete (SBP1)
- 2) Develop the ability to perform a complete evaluation and musculoskeletal examination for common sports injuries and develop a differential diagnosis and treatment plan based on that evaluation (PC2)
- 3) Explain the on-field assessment of injured athletes during the course of a game and return-to-play guidelines (PC1)
- 4) Develop a competency in a complete pre-participation evaluation for sports (PC1)
- 5) Describe basic orthopedic x-ray and MRI findings accurately (PC3)
- 6) Develop the ability to perform a sports pre-participation evaluation, with supervision (PC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; Faculty feedback using a Likert scale, checklist of competencies for joint examinations and observed physical examination of joints; (Observation, Oral Presentation, and Discussion with faculty).
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 10% Library/Research; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Heather LeBrun (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH Must check with Clinical Coordinator, Heather LeBrun , for availability at (email@example.com), 812-237-8763.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: Indiana State University Athletic Training Graduate Students
Service Learning Included: None