Elective Title: 84ZM710 — ADVANCED TOPICS IN BIOMEDICAL INFORMATICS AND TECHNOLOGY
Offered for students completing the Introduction to Health IT & Informatics elective and seeking to expand to more advanced topics in Biomedical Informatics and Technology. Topics are drawn from: principles of biomedical data representation, software design, standardization of terminology and communication, clinical decision support, mathematical modeling, clinical information systems, genetics/genomics, the use of literature and molecular sequence databases, human-computer interaction, imaging informatics, natural language processing, big data, the cloud, public health informatics, and telehealth, and various areas pertaining to leading methods in biomedical research and development supported by an understanding of advanced biomedical informatics concepts.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Heather LeBrun (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: James Brent orndorff, MSHI, HIM
Campus: Terre Haute
Location: IUSM - Terre Haute
Other Faculty: Various guest lecturers from faculty at the School of Informatics and Computing, School of Medicine and Regenstrief Institute, as well as professionals in the fields of Medicine, Health IT and Informatics.
- 1) Demonstrate an understanding of how to bring informatics solutions to bear on care delivery and research challenges(PBLI1)
- 2) Demonstrate knowledge of advanced concepts encountered in any sub-disciplines of Biomedical Informatics (PBLI1)
- 3) Demonstrate new skills utilizing and/or design of medical software and technologies (PBLI1)
- 4) Demonstrate understanding of how the utilization of contemporary informatics methods can extend therapy in preventive care, the management of chronic conditions, and application of advanced knowledge toward quality improvement programs for both individual and population health (PC4)
- Professional Development Evaluation Form.(The student's comprehension will be assessed through the use of Canvas online discussion with faculty and peers via Adobe Connect, weekly examination, group discussion assignments, and a final research paper submission covering an approved advanced topic in Biomedical Informatics. Assessment will be completed by the course director / lecturer, James "Brent" Orndorff or any future TA should the need arise).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Introduction to Health IT and Informatics
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 75%Library/Research; 25% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: PD - Professional Development
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH. Must check with Clinical Coordinator, Heather LeBrun, for availability at email@example.com or 812-237-2401 for availability of elective and housing. Student must have reliable access to computer (or mobile device) and high-speed internet to enroll. Limited to 4 student minimum and 20 student maximum. 14 days notice preferred for enrollment. Will allow last minute adds as available.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None