Elective Title: 84MR700 — CLINICAL NEPHROLOGY-UAP CLINIC
During this elective the student will have clinical experience in the management and diagnosis of patients' renal diseases, hypertension, fluid and electrolyte abnormalities and critical illnesses. An emphasis is placed on understanding patients with chronic illnesses by addressing their physical, psychological, and social problems. The emphasis of the rotation will be on taking care of in-hospital patients and seeing office patients, with enough education on dialysis to make the student comfortable during the rotation. Students are taught to interpret renal function tests, acid base abnormalities, and fluid and electrolyte abnormalities. Renal transplant follow-ups are performed during office visits. These experiences will be implemented through daily ward rounds, office visits and adhoc teaching.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Heather LeBrun (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Manish Gera, M.D.
Campus: Terre Haute
Location: Union Hospital (Terre Haute)
- 1) Describe the etiology of common Nephrology conditions (MK2)
- 2) Diagnose and develop at treatment plan for common renal conditions (PC3)
- 3) Recognize indications for and interpret tests used in the evaluation of a renal patient (PC3)
- 4) Demonstrate an appropriate physical exam of the chronic and acute patient (PC1)
- 5) Apply basic knowledge of dialysis in the outpatient and inpatient care setting (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form;(Observation, case presentation, oral presentation, and discussion with faculty).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th Year
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 10 % Laboratory; 5% Library/Research; 5% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Heather LeBrun (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH Must check with Clinical Coordinator, Heather LeBrun , for availability at (firstname.lastname@example.org), 812-237-8763.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None