Elective Title: 84ME700 — CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGY
This course will give the advanced student experience in diagnosis and clinical management of patients with endocrine disorders. Students will participate in a busy clinical endocrinology practice with one-on-one interaction with faculty endocrinologists. The primary setting will be outpatient practice with occasional hospital consultative duties. Students will obtain histories and perform physical examinations with a focus on endocrine disorders in the outpatient and inpatient setting. Students will present patients to supervising faculty for discussion. Students will be exposed to the role of diabetes management, thyroid, adrenal, pituitary and other endocrine disorders, and common endocrine disorders seen in the hospital consultative service.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Heather LeBrun (email@example.com)
Director: Mohammad Alam, M.D.
Campus: Terre Haute
Location: Providence/Union Hospital (Terre Haute)
Other Faculty: N/A
- 1) Describe the diagnostic criteria for diabetes mellitus and discuss its basic management in the outpatient and inpatient settings (PC3)
- 2) Describe the diagnosis and management of common endocrine disorders relating to the thyroid, pituitary, parathyroid, gonadal, and adrenal systems (MK4)
- 3) Perform an endocrine system focused medical history and physical examination (PC1)
- 4) Create (with the assistance of written and online resources) an appropriate initial management plan for patients with common endocrine diseases (MK4)
- Observation; Case Presentation; Oral Presentation; Discussion with Faculty; Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; Assessment will be completed by Faculty; (Clinical Observation, Oral Presentation, and Discussion with Faculty).
Prerequisites: MS3 and MS4
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Heather LeBrun (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH Must check with Clinical Coordinator, Heather LeBrun , for availability at (email@example.com), 812-237-8763.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None