Elective Title: 84LA733 — ORTHOPAEDICS
This elective is designed to provide the student with clinical experiences in the diagnosis and treatment of orthopaedic conditions in adults and children. Emphasis will be on general orthopaedics including fracture care, joint replacement, and hand and foot surgery with a focus on arthroscopic procedures. Sport injuries will also be available for diagnosis and treatment. Student time will be divided between the office, emergency room, hospital rounds and assisting in surgery. The student will take call with the physician and participate in the evaluation of the patient including the follow-up treatment. In addition, there will be exposure to medical business management and billing procedures.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Heather LeBrun (email@example.com)
Director: Jeffrey Bollenbacher, D.O.
Campus: Terre Haute
Location: Terre Haute Regional Hospital (Terre Haute)
- 1) Demonstrate appropriate techniques used in orthopedic history taking and physical exams (PC1)
- 2) Conduct common/unique orthopedic imaging tests (PC5)
- 3) Conduct common/unique orthopedic office and surgical procedures (PC5)
- 4) Practice treatment of problems managed within orthopedics (PC3)
- 5) Discuss general and specific skills necessary for building a successful orthopedics practice (PBLI1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Objective exam, Clinical Observation).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH Must check with Clinical Coordinator, Heather LeBrun, for availability at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-237-2401.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None