Elective Title: 83YF701 — ROLE OF CRITICAL ACCESS HOSPITAL IN RURAL INDIANA
This 4th-year elective will consist of a month-long rotation at a critical access hospital (CAH) at one of the above sites. Under the supervision of family physicians and other specialists, the student will participate in all aspects of health care delivery provided by this CAH. The student will also participate in health care delivery at local nursing homes as well as in a mental health facility located in an adjacent county. A student
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Heather LeBrun (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Stephanie Laws, M.S.N., R.N.
Campus: Terre Haute
Location: Union Hospital (Clinton), Sullivan County Community Hospital (Sullivan), Greene County General Hospital (Linton), St. Vincent Clay Hospital (Brazil), Putnam County Hospital (Greencastle), Mary Margaret Hospital (Batesville), Community Hospital of Bremen,
Other Faculty: Family Medicine Preceptor assigned at each site
- 1) Discuss the uniqueness and role of CAH in a rural community (SBP1)
- 2) Discusse issues of accessibility, availability, and affordability in rural health care (SBP3)
- 3) Discuss and describe the organization and delivery of health care in a rural setting based on clinical rotations in different departments within the CAH and other health care facilities (SBP1)
- 4) Perform simple minor surgery procedures commonly conducted in the out-patient setting (PC5)
- 5) Implement chronic disease management techniques with patients in the rural setting (PC4)
- 6) Diagnose and manage common undifferentiated medical problems presenting in the rural setting (PC2)
- 7) Participate in available patient advocacy programs to learn the value of preventative health measures (SBP5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation, logbook entries, Oral Presentation, written essay, and discussion with faculty).
Prerequisites: MS4 (Mandatory elective for Rural Health Students)
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40, There will be one weekend of call coverage coordinated with the course director and the on-call weekend physician. There will be no night call through the week.
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical, 10% Research/Library, 10% Presentations
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH Must check with Clinical Coordinator, Heather LeBrun, for availability at email@example.com or 812-237-2401.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None