Elective Title: 82ZE704 — EMERGENCY MEDICINE
The objective of the emergency medicine clinical rotation is to provide the student with meaningful exposure to the principles and practices of high quality emergency care. The clinical practice of emergency medicine includes patients of every age group with problems ranging from child abuse to cardiac arrest and from trauma to intoxication. The technique of rapid but thorough patient assessment will be taught with emphasis on the management of the acutely ill or injured patient. St. Mary
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Leeann Parker (leeRPark@iupui.edu)
Director: Otto Susec, M.D.
Location: St. Mary's Medical Center (Evansville)
Other Faculty: Teaching faculty include Drs. Almquist, Burkhardt, Kahre-Sights, Lopez, Pittman, and Susec, with additional physicians added through ongoing faculty recruiting and credentialing.
- 1) Produce a concise problem-focused history and physical; synthesize H&P data to generate an appropriate differential diagnosis and assessment and management plan (PC1)
- 2) Describe management priorities for critically ill and injured patients (MK4)
- 3) Develop knowledge of indications, complications, and techniques of common ED procedures including: airway management (bag-mask ventilation, rapid sequence intubation), procedural sedation, vascular access/fluid resuscitation (IV placement, central lines, IO lines, arterial lines), CPR, lumbar puncture, bladder catheterization, splinting, suturing, regional anesthetic blocks, foreign body removal, and pain management (PC5)
- 4) Describe the basic principles of trauma and trauma evaluation (PC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form completed by Course Director
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 37.5/week
Time Distribution: 95%Clinical; 5% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH. Contact the IUSM-Evansville Center Clerkship Director Leeann Parker for permission prior to enrollment, at 812-492-7505 or LeeRPark@iupui.edu. Priority in scheduling will be given to 4th-year students, with consideration of 3rd-year students interested in Emergency Medicine as a career.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None