Elective Title: 82RA710 — RADIOLOGY
The objective of this course in radiology is to introduce the students to diagnostic radiology and familiarize the student in working with radiologists to improve care for their patients. During the elective period, the student will be exposed to all aspects of diagnostic radiology, including special procedures, computed tomography, ultrasound and nuclear medicine.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Leeann Parker (leeRPark@iupui.edu)
Director: Steven Becker, M.D.
Location: Methodist Hospital (KY), various Evansville Sites
Other Faculty: Dr. Lackey, Dr. Miller, Dr. Perkins, and possibly other faculty.
- 1) Recognize radiographs of proper quality in order to differentiate pathology(MK3)
- 2) Identify contrast materials for radiographic examinations (PC3)
- 3) Recognize the need for special patient preparation for radiologic examination(PC1)
- 4) Summarize the principles of radiology and be able to correlate clinically with radiology findings (PC4)
- 5) Demonstrate appropriate techniques for film reading and discussing findings with radiologist (PC4)
- 6) Recognize special procedures and demonstrate the indications for such procedures (PC6)
- 7) Discuss types of nuclear medicine, diagnostic exams, and indications and results of such tests (MK4)
- 8) Correlate findings of nuclear medicine studies with clinical findings; understand and discuss basic underlying principles of radiation therapy (MK5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluations Form
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: Students will complete approximately 30 hours of independent reading and research, and 80 hours of clinical shifts during the month, which may include days, evenings, and weekends, based on availability of clinical teaching faculty. 4th-year students may
Time Distribution: 75%Clinical; 25% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Leeann Parker (leeRPark@iupui.edu) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH: Contact the IUSM-Evansville Center Clerkship Director Leeann Parker for permission prior to enrollment, at 812-492-7505 or LeeRPark@iu.edu. Priority in scheduling will be given to 4th-year students, with consideration of 3rd-year students interested in Radiology as a career. Elective is only offered for IUSM students, not available for students from other schools.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None