Elective Title: 82MP714 — PULMONARY AND CRITICAL CARE
Community practice of pulmonary medicine with hospital responsibilities. Experience will be gained with pulmonary function testing and interpretations, blood gas analysis and interpretations of chest roentgenograms. The student will have an opportunity to observe and perform some procedures such as thoracentesis, subclavian intubation, and chest tube placement. Rotation will include both inpatient and outpatient (office, sleep lab, etc.) clinical settings.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Caren Whitehouse (email@example.com)
Director: Roger F. Johnson, M.D.
- 1) Recognize and manage common pulmonary conditions (MK4)
- 2) Recognize indications for and interpret chest x-rays, ABG s, and Bronchoscopy (PC3)
- 3) Demonstrate knowledge of critical care in the ICU including ventilator management and intubation (PC5)
- 4) Perform an accurate physical examination as it pertains to intensive care issues (PC1)
- 5) Employ effective communication with peers, families and patients in the intensive care setting (ISC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form ( based on direct observation in clinical settings).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status (Priority given to 4th year status); Phase 2 MEDICINE clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 35-40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH: Contact Caren Whitehouse (firstname.lastname@example.org) at IUSM-Evansville for enrollment permission. Priority will be given to 4th-year students, with consideration of 3rd-year students who have completed their clerkship. Elective is only offered for IUSM students, not available for students from other schools.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: Students will work with care teams including nurses, physician assistants, and respiratory therapists.
Service Learning Included: None