Elective Title: 82MD701 — CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES
The student will see a variety of infectious disease problems in a community hospital setting and office setting. They will review and apply microbiology to common clinical situations, as basis for understanding antibiotic selection. This elective may be taken in sequence or separately with other electives in the Evansville area.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Caren Whitehouse (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Jose Salgado, M.D.
Location: St. Mary's Medical Center (Evansville)
- 1. Describe the diagnostic criteria and management for commonly encountered infectious disease conditions (e)g), cellulitis, pneumonia, meningitis, urinary tract infections, etc. (MK4)
- 2. Learn basic principles of antibiotic pharmacology with respect to side effect monitoring, dosage alteration (e)g), in patients with renal insufficiency), and drug selection based on "best practice" guidelines (MK4)
- 3. take an appropriate medical history and perform an appropriate physical examination (PC1)
- 4. 4. Synthesize information into a coherent description of a patient's medical problems relevant to infectious diseases; recognize and appropriately name the infectious diseases problems (MK2)
- 5. Propose an appropriate range of potential solutions to each problem (PC2)
- work 6. Work with the patient's primary physicians to solve each problem (SBP1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Clinical Observation by course director/preceptor(s): this is based on the student's interaction, participation and performance in clinical activities and demonstrated professionalism while on the rotation.)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status (Priority given to 4th year status); MEDICINE clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH: Contact Caren Whitehouse (email@example.com) at IUSM-Evansville for enrollment permission. Priority will be given to 4th-year students, with consideration of 3rd-year students who have completed their clerkship. Elective is only offered for IUSM students, not available for students from other schools.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None