Elective Title: 82MC701 — CARDIOLOGY
The student will work closely with cardiologists and gain a wide exposure to clinical cardiology in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Emphasis will be placed on history taking, physical diagnosis, diagnostic tests in cardiology and patient management. Rounds will be made daily in the hospital. The student will be encouraged and expected to participate in the decision making process regarding the care of the cardiology patient. Opportunities may include exposure in the areas of pediatric cardiology, echocardiography, electrocardiography, cardiac rehabilitation, cardiac catheterization, clinical electrophysiology, and clinical pharmacology.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Leeann Parker (leeRPark@iupui.edu)
Director: Deepa Kumbar, M.D.
Other Faculty: Multiple physicians in practice may participate: Dr. Jurado, Dr. Curtis, Dr. Rehman, Dr. HAmed, Dr. Rimawi, Dr. Behrens, Dr. Jurado, Dr. Casion, Dr. Patel, Dr. Venkatapuram, Dr. Hormuth
- 1) Take a detailed cardiac history (PC2)
- 2) Perform an appropriate cardiovascular exam (PC4)
- 3) Treat general cardiac pathology and risk factor modification in an outpatient setting (PC3)
- 4) Create differential diagnoses for cardio- vascular symptoms (PC3)
- 5) Evaluate acute and chronic cardiac pathologies with such modalities as ECG, ECHO, stress testing, nuclear studies, cardiac catheterization, and PTCA (PC6)
- 6) Diagnose and treat common cardiac conditions including chest pain, coronary disease, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation (PC2)
- 7) Present on selected literature that pertains to the treatment of cardiac conditions (ISC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Clinical observation and oral presentations if applicable).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status ; (Must have completed Medicine or Family Medicine Clerksip)
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 45
Time Distribution: 70%Clinical; 20% Library/Rsearch; 10% Lecture / Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH: Contact the IUSM-Evansville Center Clerkship Director Leeann Parker for enrollment permission, at 812-492-7505 or LeeRPark@iu.edu. Priority will be given to 4th-year students, with consideration of 3rd-year students interested in Cardiology as a potential career. Elective is only offered for IUSM students, not available for students from other schools.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None