Elective Title: 82DA750 — ADVANCED HUMAN STRUCTURE AND ANATOMICAL EDUCATION
This course is designed for third and fourth year medical students seeking teaching experiences in gross anatomy, histology, and embryology components of the Human Structure course taught to 1st year medical students. Participating students will assist in teaching the human structure laboratories and will be expected to prepare and lead small group discussions. Participants should consider the timing of their elective such that the regional anatomical course content will align with the student's area of clinical interest. Participants will also receive guidance in the development of board-style questions and a durable educational module focusing on a clinical application. This module could be a slide presentation, video, TBL/PBL case, or any other approved modality that supports the objectives of the Human Structure course.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Leeann Parker (leeRPark@iupui.edu)
Director: Audra Schaefer, Ph.D.
Other Faculty: Dale W. Saxon, Ph.D.
- 1) Demonstrate a high proficiency regarding anatomical knowledge by preparing high quality teaching presentations to MS1s (MK1)
- 2) Demonstrate active participation as an instructor in the Human structure course (P2)
- 3) Develop at least one high quality educational module focusing on the clinical application of human structure (PBLI1)
- 4) Demonstrate thorough understanding of anatomical sciences by developing at least 25 board-style multiple-choice questions (ISC5)
- 5) Describe how structures in the gross anatomy and histology laboratories relate to health as well as the diagnosis, management, and prevention of disease (MK3)
- Professional Development Evaluation Form (Students will be assessed on the quality and completion of their educational materials, their preparedness for interactions with MS1s, and the quality and depth of their educational module. Students will be evaluated through observation and review of submitted materials. The Professional Development Evaluation rubric will be used to assess students on the following competencies: medical knowledge, practice-based learning and improvement, interpersonal skills and communication, and professionalism).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 35-40
Time Distribution: 20%Library/Research; 25% Lecture/Seminar; 55% Laboratory
Elective Type Category: PD - Professional Development
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH: Contact Leeann Parker, IUSM-Evansville Director of Clinical Eduction, for enrollment permission: 812-492-7505 or LeeRPark@iu.edu. Open to third and fourth-year IUSM students. Elective is only offered for IUSM students, not available for students from other schools.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None