Elective Title: 82CA710 — ANATOMIC & CLINICAL PATHOLOGY
This elective will expose the student to pathology as practiced in a community hospital setting. The student will have brief exposure to all areas of the labs as well as anatomic pathology. Students will experience surgical pathology, cytopathology (including fine needle aspirates) and clinical pathology (hematopathology, transfusion medicine, clinical chemistry and microbiology). Through observation, interaction with pathologists and laboratory staff, hands-on activities, attendance/presentations at tumor boards, and an independent project/case report, the student will gain an appreciation of the scope of the medical specialty of pathology and laboratory medicine.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Leeann Parker (leeRPark@iupui.edu)
Director: Kristine La Fortune, M.D.
Other Faculty: Dr. Kevin Kernek
- 1) Demonstrate additional skills (beyond those acquired in the pre-clinical courses) in gross and microscopic examination of tissue involved with a variety of disease processes (MK3)
- 2) Describe basic principles of clinical laboratory testing through observation and interaction with laboratory staff (PBLI1)
- 3) Integrate clinical and pathologic findings in the context of a patient-centered case report and presentation (MK3)
- 4) Examine the multifaceted role of the pathologist in a busy community hospital (PC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Clinical Observations and Project presentation).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status (Must have completed Internal Medicine and/or Family Medicine Clerkship)
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 35-40
Time Distribution: 25%Clinical; 25%Library/Research;25%Labratory:25%Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH: Contact the IUSM-Evansville Center Clerkship Director Leeann Parker for enrollment permission, at 812-492-7505 or LeeRPark@iu.edu. Priority will be given to 4th-year students, with consideration of 3rd-year students who have completed their Medicine clerkship. Elective is only offered for IUSM students, not available for students from other schools.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None