Elective Title: 82AN720 — ANESTHESIOLOGY
Pre- and postoperative evaluation of patients. Follow-up in recovery room, ICU, or ward. Role of medications, preanesthesia examination, evaluation of laboratory data, EKG, invasive monitoring techniques, and other pertinent data. Clinical management of anesthesia, including application of anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology. Selection and administration of various types of anesthetic drugs. Management of airway. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation - methods, techniques, role of drugs. Assignment is to operating room and recovery room.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Caren Whitehouse (email@example.com)
Director: Michael Drake, M.D.
Location: St. Vincent – Evansville
Other Faculty: Numerous Anesthesiology Group Associates physicians are members of IUSME faculty, including the course co-directors Dr. Drake and Dr. Kuhlenschmidt, as well as Dr. Funke, Dr. Malchioni, Dr. Thacker, and others.
- 1) Perform preanesthesia evaluation (PC1)
- 2) Assign and justify ASA Physical Status Classification (PC2)
- 3) Integrate data from a clinical encounter to develop a patient-centered plan of care (PC3)
- 4) Demonstrate appropriate transfer of care between providers or settings (PC6)
- 5) Do/Participate in invasive monitoring techniques (PC5)
- 6) Describe the autonomic nervous system (MK1)
- 7) Recognize the medications used during a general anesthetic (MK4)
- 8) Perform airway management (PC5)
- 9) Explain cardiopulmonary resuscitation (MK4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status (Must have completed Anesthesia Clerkship)
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: Duty hours: 36+/week, based on preceptor schedules. May include call, evening, or weekend duties.
Time Distribution: 90%Clinical; 10% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH: Contact Caren Whitehouse (firstname.lastname@example.org) at IUSM-Evansville for enrollment permission. Priority will be given to 4th-year students, with consideration of 3rd-year students who have completed their clerkship. Elective is only offered for IUSM students, not available for students from other schools.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None