Elective Title: 79ZS702 — PRIMARY CARE SPORTS MEDICINE
This elective is designed to provide the student with exposure to sports medicine as an extension of practice in family medicine. The focus will be on common musculoskeletal injuries and conditions in children, adolescents, and adults with an emphasis on learning a thorough joint exam of the ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, wrist, and back. The student will also learn treatment options for common musculoskeletal injuries, including joint injections and the role of physical therapy. Non-musculoskeletal sports injuries such as concussions will also be discussed. Use of Musculoskeletal ultrasound for diagnosis and procedures will be taught as well.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Donna Fulkerson (drf.@purdue.edu)
Director: Jeffrey Wang, M.D.
Campus: West Lafayette
Location: IU Health Arnett Southside Family Medicine, IU Health Arnett Orthopedics and Sports Medicine (Lafayette)
- 1) Perform the musculoskeletal exam of the ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, wrist, and back (PC5)
- 2) Read plain films and musculoskeletal MRIs, with assistance (PC3)
- 3) Explain the role of physical therapy/therapeutic exercise in the treatment of musculoskeletal problems (MK4)
- 4) Explain indications for/appropriate choices of injectable therapies and demonstrate proper injection technique, with assistance (MK4)
- 5) Discuss the role of the sideline physician and the coordination of event coverage with support staff, if unable to witness sideline experience. Otherwise, participate in sideline coverage, if available. (SBP1)
- 6) Demonstrate sound clinical reasoning around diagnosis and treatment of common acute and chronic causes of musculoskeletal complaints (PC3)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (observation, oral exam, oral presentation, discussion with faculty, etc.)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 32
Time Distribution: 100% clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH Contact Donna Fulkerson 765-496-7973 or email@example.com 8 weeks prior to enrollment.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None