Elective Title: 79SG724 — GENERAL SURGERY
This elective will provide the student an opportunity to observe and participate in the practice of general surgery including common medical problems managed by general surgery and non-medical problems common to surgical practice. The rotation will take place in hospital, clinical and operating room settings in the general surgery practice at IU Health Arnett. Through exposure to a variety of clinical patient situations, the student will learn the responsibilities of a general surgeon to his or her community.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops:
Donna Fulkerson (drf.@purdue.edu)
Director: Andrew Swearingen, M.D.
Campus: West Lafayette
Location: IUHealth Arnett (West Lafayette)
1) Discuss basic pathophysiology and basic surgical concepts of gastrointestinal, breast trauma, skin and soft tissue diseases while improving knowledge base of the preoperative, surgical, and post-operative management of complex surgical processes (MK3)
- 2) Interview and examine patients with surgical diseases and to formulate basic patient care plans (PC1)
- 3) Recognize acute illness in surgical patients and formulate rapid treatment plans while considering specific aspects of general surgical pathophysiology (MK4)
- 4) Employ basic surgical techniques (e.g. skin suturing, knot tying, laparoscopic and open procedures, etc) (PC4)
- 5) Identify the rigors and rewards of a general surgery residency and career while participating as a member of the health care team. This includes learning how to perform at an Intern level with regard to patient care and interaction with staff (ISC1)
Clinical Performance Form (clinical performance evaluation form provided by MSA - iu.app.box.com/s/bewmvsud2a...)
3rd or 4th year status; Must have completed General Surgery Clerkship
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: Hours will be restricted to a maximum of 80 hours per week with 10 hours off between shifts and 1 weekday off per 7 workdays, averaged over 4 weeks.
Time Distribution: 85%Clinical; 15% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Donna Fulkerson (drf.@purdue.edu) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH; Contact Donna Fulkerson 765-496-7973 or firstname.lastname@example.org 8 weeks prior to enrollment
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None