Elective Title: 79SG724 — GENERAL SURGERY
This elective will provide the student an opportunity to observe and participate in the practice of general surgery including common medical problems managed by general surgery and non-medical problems common to surgical practice. The rotation will take place in hospital, clinical and operating room settings in the general surgery practice at IU Health Arnett. Through exposure to a variety of clinical patient situations, the student will learn the responsibilities of a general surgeon to his or her community.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Donna Fulkerson (drf.@purdue.edu)
Director: Serene Shereef, M.D.
Campus: West Lafayette
Location: IUHealth Arnett (West Lafayette)
Other Faculty: Roger Bangs, M.D., Richard Berg, M.D., James Maresh, M.D., Ruban Nirmalan, M.D.
- 1) Discuss basic pathophysiology and basic surgical concepts of gastrointestinal, breast trauma, skin and soft tissue diseases while improving knowledge base of the preoperative, surgical, and post-operative management of complex surgical processes (MK3)
- 2) Interview and examine patients with surgical diseases and to formulate basic patient care plans (PC1)
- 3) Recognize acute illness in surgical patients and formulate rapid treatment plans while considering specific aspects of general surgical pathophysiology (MK4)
- 4) Employ basic surgical techniques (e.g. skin suturing, knot tying, laparoscopic and open procedures, etc) (PC4)
- 5) Identify the rigors and rewards of a general surgery residency and career while participating as a member of the health care team. This includes learning how to perform at an Intern level with regard to patient care and interaction with staff (ISC1)
- Clinical Performance Form (clinical performance evaluation form provided by MSA - iu.app.box.com/s/bewmvsud2a...)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Must have completed General Surgery Clerkship
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: Hours will be restricted to a maximum of 80 hours per week with 10 hours off between shifts and 1 weekday off per 7 workdays, averaged over 4 weeks.
Time Distribution: 85%Clinical; 15% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Donna Fulkerson (drf.@purdue.edu) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH; Contact Donna Fulkerson 765-496-7973 or email@example.com 8 weeks prior to enrollment
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None