Elective Title: 79MP700 — ICU-PULMONOLOGY
The course will provide an introduction to the care of the critically ill adult with emphasis on the concept of titrated care. The student will be an active member of the ICU team and will be taught current concepts of: airway management and mechanical ventilation; hemodynamic pressure monitoring; enteral and parenteral nutrition; management of shock; management of multi-system trauma; fluid and electrolyte therapy. The student will gain an awareness of cost containment issues and the medical, legal, and ethical dilemmas of critical care. There will be one-on-one discussions about ventilators, hemodynamics, ARDS, SIRS, and complex medical and surgical care and general ICU medical management. There will be informal reading and presenting some assigned topics to discuss with staff to maximize learning.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Donna Fulkerson (drf.@purdue.edu)
Director: Shahid Ahsan, M.D.
Campus: West Lafayette
Location: Franciscan St. Elizabeth Health — Lafayette East (Lafayette)
- 1. Demonstrate knowledge, skills, and attitudes in handling seriously ill patients, requiring care in the ICU/CCU units (PC1)
- 2. Demonstrate management of airway management, mechanical ventilation hemodynamic pressure monitoring; enteral and parenteral nutrition(PC5)
- 3. Demonstrate management of shock (PC2)
- 4. Demonstrate management of multi-system trauma; fluid and electrolyte therapy(PC3)
- 5. Demonstrate written documentation skills(ISC5)
- Clinical Performance Evalution Form; (Direct observation; Discussion with faculty, oral presentations).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: Hours will not exceed 80 hour work week averaged over a 4 week period as outlined in the Duty Hours Policy.
Time Distribution: 95% Clinical, 5% Library / Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Donna Fulkerson (drf.@purdue.edu) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH Contact Donna Fulkerson 765-496-7973 or email@example.com 8 weeks prior to enrollment.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: Student will be an active member of the ICU team.
Service Learning Included: None