Elective Title: 71YF707 — FAMILY MEDICINE
The student will be assigned to a member of the family medicine staff and to a resident in family medicine. The student will see multiple patients in an active Family Medicine Center on a daily basis. Students are acquainted with the scope of Family Medicine in both hospital and office settings. This includes following ambulatory patients in the Family Medicine model office, with an opportunity to participate in a health-oriented rather than a disease-oriented practice. Time can be allocated for special interests at the discretion of the director, such as obstetrics, sports medicine, and care of the underserved.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stacey Jackson (email@example.com)
Director: Martin Francis Wieschhaus, M.D.
Campus: South Bend
Location: St. Joseph Regional Medical Center (Mishawaka)
Other Faculty: Residency Faculty
- 1) See patients in a busy family medicine center (PC1)
- 2) Take history and physicals (PC1)
- 3) Formulate an assessment and plan (PC3)
- 4) Pursue information to enhance knowledge and demonstrate lifelong learning skills (PBLI1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The assessment methods include faculty observation of history and physical exams and oral presentations on assessment and plans of patients assigned to medical student. The assessment will be conducted by the course director).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All South Bend electives must go thru the South Bend campus coordinator. Contact Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1870)
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None