Elective Title: 71VA707 — DERMATOLOGY
Students will gain experience in recognition and management of common skin diseases. Basic diagnostic procedures and differential diagnosis will be reviewed. Extensive skin cancer surgery is performed in the office and participation will be encouraged. Basic microscopic histopathologic correlation will be discussed and reviewed when pertinent. A recommended reading list will be available.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stacey Jackson (email@example.com)
Director: Holly Harris, M.D.
Campus: South Bend
Location: South Bend Clinic (South Bend)
- 1) Perform a directed history and physical examination to assess a patient with skin disease and to formulate a plan of action (PC1)
- 2) Accurately describe skin lesions(MK3)
- 3) Diagnose and manage the 20 most common skin diseases(PC2)
- 4) Perform the following procedures: KOH preparation, Tzanck smear, cytodiagnosis of molluscum contagiosum, scraping for ectoparasites, skin biopsy, electrodessication (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The assessment methods include faculty observation of history and physical examine performance and dermatological procedures. Students will be asked to give oral presentations on common skin lesions and their diagnosis and management. The assessment will be conducted by the course director).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 5% Lecture/Seminar; 5% Literature Review
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All South Bend electives must go thru the South Bend campus coordinator. Contact Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1870)
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None