Elective Title: 71RA703 — RADIOLOGY
The objective of this course in radiology is to introduce the students to diagnostic radiology and familiarize the student in working with radiologists to improve care for their patients. During the elective period, the student will be exposed to all aspects of diagnostic radiology, including special procedures, computed tomography, ultrasound and nuclear medicine.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stacey Jackson (email@example.com)
Director: Alex Tawadros, M.D.
Campus: South Bend
Location: Memorial Hospital (South Bend)
Other Faculty: Other Radiology Staff
- 1) Recognize roentgenograms of proper quality in order to differentiate pathology (MK3)
- 2) Identify contrast materials for radiographic examinations (PC2)
- 3) Recognize the need for special patient preparation for radiologic examination (SBP4)
- 4) Summarize the principles of radiology and be able to correlate clinically with radiology findings (PC3)
- 5) Demonstrate appropriate techniques for film reading and discussing findings with radiologist (PC3)
- 6) Recognize special procedures and demonstrate the indications for such procedures (PC5)
- 7) Discuss types of nuclear medicine, diagnostic exams, and indications and results of such tests (MK4)
- 8) Correlate findings of nuclear medicine studies with clinical findings; understand and discuss basic underlying principles of radiation therapy (MK5)
- 9) Discuss methods of therapy via radiation and relate side effects and results associated with various treatments (MK4)
- 10) Attend and participate in medical education conferences (P2)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation - primarily shadowing and discussions regarding readings the student will choose with the preceptors).
Prerequisites: 4th year status. Elective may be used only for elective credit.
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 50% Clinical; 10% Lecture; 40% Self-Learning
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All South Bend electives must go thru the South Bend campus coordinator. Contact Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1870)
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None