Elective Title: 71MR707 — CLINICAL NEPHROLOGY
During this elective the student will have clinical experience in the management and diagnosis of patients' renal diseases, hypertension, fluid and electrolyte abnormalities and critical illnesses. An emphasis is placed on understanding patients with chronic illnesses by addressing their physical, psychological, and social problems. The emphasis of the rotation will be on taking care of in-hospital patients and seeing office patients, with enough education on dialysis to make the student comfortable during the rotation. Students are taught to interpret renal function tests, acid base abnormalities, and fluid and electrolyte abnormalities. Renal transplant follow-ups are performed during office visits. These experiences will be implemented through daily ward rounds, office visits and adhoc teaching.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stacey Jackson (email@example.com)
Director: Margaret Quate-Operacz, M.D.
Campus: South Bend
Location: Kidney Care of Michiana, LLC (South Bend)
Other Faculty: Leslie Schmitz, D.O. (co-director)
- 1) Describe the etiology of common nephrology conditions (MK2)
- 2) Diagnose and develop at treatment plan for common renal conditions (PC3)
- 3) Recognize indications for and interpret tests used in the evaluation of a renal patient (PC3)
- 4) Demonstrate an appropriate physical exam of the chronic and acute patient (PC1)
- 5) Apply basic knowledge of dialysis in the outpatient and inpatient care setting (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The assessment methods include faculty observation of history and physical exams. Students will be asked to give oral presentations on history and physical exams including appropriate assessment and plans. The assessment will be conducted by the course director).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 85% Clinical; 15% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All South Bend electives must go thru the South Bend campus coordinator. Contact Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1870) Elective may be added/dropped within two weeks of the start of the elective month.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None