Elective Title: 71MG703 — GASTROENTEROLOGY
The student will receive clinical experience in the diagnosis and management of patients with gastro-intestinal problems. He/she will make daily ward rounds with a gastroenterologist and will observe and participate in endoscopic procedures. In addition to obtaining knowledge in gastroenterology in the hospital setting, the student will be given the opportunity to see cases in the office as well. Upon completion of the elective, the student should be able to correlate clinical findings with the laboratory determinations and x-ray studies.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: John Mathis, M.D.
Campus: South Bend
Location: Memorial Hospital (South Bend)
Other Faculty: Thomas Vanderheyden, D.O.
- 1) Develop a differential diagnosis, diagnostic plan and treatment plan for common chief complaints seen in the outpatient GI clinic and inpatient consultation service (PC2)
- 2) Describe the indication, risks and benefits of gastroenterology procedures (PC3)
- 3) Present a verbal history and physical in a concise format (PC1)
- 4) Proficiently evaluate and interpret GI xrays/CT/MRIs (MK3)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The assessment methods include faculty observation of history and physical exams. Students will be asked to give oral presentations on history and physical exams including appropriate assessment and plans. The assessment will be conducted by the course director).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 20% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Stacey Jackson (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All South Bend electives must go thru the South Bend campus coordinator. Contact Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1870)
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None